Friday, January 22, 2010

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

You all know that I love to save money and when I find a good deal I can't help but let everyone know about it! This past year, John and I have been focusing a lot on food storage. The hardest part for me is knowing how to use it. Well, I just came across a fabulous food storage recipe that not only is good, but will save you dinero.
My kids LOVE instant oatmeal. I always buy the 10 packet boxes when they're on sale. I've never paid more than $1/per box. However, they're normally around $3/box. I didn't think I'd ever find a better deal than $1, but I did! Homemade instant oatmeal. I'm in love with it. I made a batch to try it out on my kids and they devoured it. It cost me less than $3 to make a batch of 5 boxes of oatmeal! I made apple cinnamon oatmeal, so if you wanted to go plain or even do just brown sugar, it would cost even less.
This is what I think is so great about this:
*It's cheap
*The ingredients are all in your food storage
*It has 50% less sugar, in fact you can substitute the sugar anyway you'd like
*My kids love it.
*It's EASY

RECIPE (from myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com):
1 packet
1/4 c. quick oats
1/4 c. powdered oats (put 1/4 c. of oats in blender or food processor until they are blended into a powder--not as fine as flour, but just enough to break down the oats)
1 tsp. powdered milk
1 tsp. sugar or honey powder(you could omit this if you want to season yourself)
1/8 tsp. salt (I only put a dash)
Mix all together, put in microwaveable bowl, add 2/3 cup water or milk & microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.

Large Batch
5 c. quick oats
5 c. powdered oats
1/3 c. powdered milk
1/3 c. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. salt (I only used 1 1/2 tsp.)
Mix all together and put in a tupperware or #10 can for later use.
***For different variations, add cinnamon and dried apples (I used my apples from the LDS cannery -yummy!), or you can add dried fruit or other flavorings to make different types of oatmeal.

And as a sidenote: Maceys has their 25lb bags of sugar on sale for $9.80 which is awesome! The cheapest I've found is at LDS cannery and Costco; they sell theirs for about $13-$14.

No comments: