Monday, May 18, 2009

HALF MARATHON OR BUST!!!!

I did it!!!! On Saturday I ran in the 2009 Ogden Marathon. I ran the half marathon, 13.2 miles. I started training for it in the middle of January. My training started out rough. I could barely run half a mile and the thought of running 13.2 miles seemed impossible. I was also training in the winter. Not only was it really cold, but I had to run in snow, rain and hail. But it was all worth it. After 16 weeks of training, I built endurance and stamina and I ran the race with ease.
The race was a really, really fun run. I started in Eden, ran up a hill and had a gorgeous view of the Pineview Reservoir. Then I crossed the dam and ran down through the Ogden Canyon through beautiful pine-covered slopes and steep rock faces, all while running along the Ogden river. I passed a pretty waterfall and many old barns and cabins. The weather was really nice and cool and there were water and food stations every mile. I stopped at mile 6 to eat a gel pack and drink some water and then again at mile 8 to go to the bathroom. This is where I had my setback. I had to wait in line for over 6 minutes to use the bathroom. Then as I took off again down the canyon, my foot landed weird and I injured my knee. I tried walking it off, but it got worse, so for the last 5 miles of the race I gritted my teeth and tried to keep my mind distracted. It’s been 2 days now and I still can’t walk on my knee, just limp. I’m tending to it and hoping it’s nothing bad so we’ll see. I stopped again at mile 10 to eat another gel pack and some water. This is where I came out of the canyon and ran about 2 miles through the Ogden River Parkway and ended the last mile down Grant Avenue and Historic 25th street. I had a great experience. It was exhilarating and I would definitely consider doing it again. Even though I had to wait for the bathroom and slow my pace considerably after hurting my knee, I still managed to beat my goal time. Yea! John, Austin, Anabell, Carol, Dave and Jill all met up with me at the finish line. Dave and Jill, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law also ran the race and it was fun to start the race with them.
I can’t finish this entry without thanking my husband. Since I could never drag myself out of bed at 5:30 in the morning, I had to train when John got home from work. As soon as John got home I would go running and he would hold down the fort while I was gone. At the beginning of my training I could run on the treadmill at home while the two little ones were napping. But when I started running longer miles, I had to run outside. I would run around the city and John would grab the kids and pick me up when I was finished. He has been so supportive and has never once complained. There’s no way I would’ve been successful in my training if it wasn’t for him.
I’m glad to have a break from running for a couple of weeks but I'm already itching to get out and go. I have another race in the middle of June in Bear Lake so I’m crossing my fingers that my knee gets better soon!

9 comments:

Tera said...

You are my hero. One of my goals is to eventually, someday, run a marathon. I know I need to start smaller, like with a 5k, then a 1/2 marathon, but since I could maybe huff and puff through a 1/4 mile, that far seems so daunting. I am in awe that you were so committed to doing that! Great Job! Now I know your secret to staying so thin!

Heather said...

You're awesome, Chari! Hope your knee feels better soon!

James and Crystal said...

congratulations, that's awesome, running has never been my thing but I totally admire those that do run. And I do hope your knee gets better.

Carrie said...

That is so awesome, Chari! I am so proud of you!!!

The Borman Family said...

That is such an accomplishment. I can not run for anything. I really hope your knee gets better. Must be hard being a busy mom with that injury. I hope you can make it for your next marathon too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! I want to run so badly but I was like you and can barely run a mile. You are awesome!

Breinholt Gang said...

Great job. I will have to do one sometime. By the way, you are the only one that said they would do a tri, so maybe we will have a girls weekend and just do one together around here or something.

Anonymous said...

That is incredible Chari! Nicole came to visit last weekend and I couldn't even run more than 10 minutes. Pitiful! I really need to work out. Great Job!

Keeping Up With The Joneses said...

You suck! That was MY half marathon as is everyone's half marathon they run. I never actually did the one I was getting ready for, so I'm a hater of all others. You look awesome by-the-way skinny little girl. Congrats on sticking with it. Sigh.. maybe next time